Apr 3, 2006

sunset

i was pulling up behind a long string of army vehicles. jeeps, trucks, cargo carriers. and there i was on my little green vespa (that's 'vintage green' i was told at the dealer). my feelings were precarious, unbalanced. There was a bit of vulnerability due to the obvious contrast between macho army hummers and the vintage green vespa trailing behind. but the embarrassment was tempered with my ability to cruise swiftly up to the rear of the last truck and casually switch lanes, passing every slow moving vehicle to my right.

from behind, i could hear a steadily increasing whir of reving engines. the noise grew louder and louder, but i didn't turn to see the noise. suddenly, i was surrounded by hordes of bikers. they began to speed past, and my teetering emotion suddenly slipped into the the left lane with me. my emotions became only a desire to strain, with all the energy my scooter and i could muster, to keep up with the crotch-rockety bikers. the twentieth member of the gang passed me quickly, without effort.

but in a moment of selflessness, he turned and motioned towards me. with a wave of his hand, he beckoned me to follow. "come on, stay with us. you can do it" he seemed to say.

i watched him speed on. if only i could. if only my little engine could. if only i and my little vintage green scooter could. but they were already gone. the boys had me--disappointed and alone on my scooter--in their trail. all i had left behind was the georgia sunset fading behind me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh you poor poor thing. Get Henry back home and I'll give him nice spongebath for trying.

Anonymous said...

Thats such a sweet story Patrick.

Anonymous said...

you are an amazing memoirist, Pat. great telling of a meaningful story.