May 28, 2006

church and cigarettes

over a mai tai and a cigarette, i was discussing my recent plight as a kicked-out college student with my new acquaintance, emily. as emily puffed away, i unraveled the gritty, ugly details of the workings of the baptist college that practices little of the christian principle it supposedly stands for. and here the two of us were, nestled together on a leather couch in a tight corner of a smoking room, hidden away from the rest of the club goers at this little venue in hollywood. hidden away, in fact, from the rest of the world--christian and not.

as i finished my story, i noticed a familiar look in emily's eyes, that somehow easily concocted mixture of concern and repulsion: care for my situation, and disgust at those who have brought me there. emily's wrist slung the butt of her cigarette down and rubbed it harshly against the glass of the ash tray.

"well, if you still want to go to church, my boyfriend and i found this really great place that meets just around the corner. and just so you know, you'll be totally welcomed there."

something between the words that were spoken and the obvious concern behind emily's voice captured me. two years ago, i would have seen an ironic contradiction in this scene: a smoky lounge, alcohol, talk of church, and me. the gay one. now, however, i see more humanity in this situation than i would ever have seen in many of the places i was hanging around. overshadowed by love, sympathy, and the intricate workings of daily life, our vices took a back seat to that small glimpse of truth that was ultimately of importance.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

patrick, i love this story. i love seeing how you've changed over the past couple years without loosing touch with whats really important to you. you need to go to that church! ...and would i have said that 2 years ago? i guess i've changed too.

Anonymous said...

Hey, you don't know me, but I'm a current student at PCC.

I just wanted to say that I love reading your blog, and I think you're an awesome guy and live a wonderful life. I'd love to hang out with you someday, but probably not in the next few years, lest the Gestapo find out and send me to Auschwitz.

Just know that not all us fundamentalists are kooks with a penchant for judging others.

Some of us actually can get along with others who don't agree with us one hundred and ten percent.

In my case, I enjoy it.

team group leader said...

thanks for your note. i am fortunate to have a few very dear friends from that school, despite the lack of concern i have felt from so many there. best of luck as you finish out your years on the florida coast (and i hope you make it to the beach, even though you aren't allowed to!)